Wylde Green

Wylde Green is a residential area in Birmingham, just to the south of Sutton Coldfield


In the 16th century, this area of barren common land was known as the Wyld and was sparsely populated. After the Enclosure Act of 1825, there was some development and in 1840 the growth of the population to about 60 led to the building of the first school.[1] In the 1850s substantial Victorian mansions began to appear along the Birmingham Road. Highbridge Road and Station Road were laid out in 1858 in anticipation of the coming of the railway. The railway with its station at Wylde Green railway station opened in 1862 (now on the Birmingham to Lichfield suburban line). Urbanisation of the area proceeded rapidly thereafter. In 1923, the parish of Wylde Green was created out of that of Boldmere.

Until recently there was a 1950s disused nuclear bunker that would have played a key role in the control of the Birmingham area in the event of a nuclear attack.

Why not visit our Art Wiki? You can read or write about art and artists. And even add a page about yourself…

".. Renoir, Picasso, Cubism, Renaissance art, Georges Seurat, Michael Asher, da Vinci, lautrec, leger, Joan Miro, Impressionism, Edvard Munch, Hans Holbein, Matisse, realism, rococo, baroque, Bosch art, Mark Rothko, orkin, poynter, pollock, Geoff Bunn art, Turner, Sol LeWitt, hirst, emin, Max Ernst, still-life, Richard Serra, landscapes, Primitivism, John Sargent, Madge Gill, pre-raphaelites, Conceptualism, Claude Monet, art brut, art povera, Mel Bochner, bridget riley, LS Lowry, Expressionism, modigliani, Marcel Duchamp, Victor Burgin, dada, surrealism and much more besides…"

The Art Wiki

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License